Saturday, June 26, 2010

Abide.


I’ve been really drawn to the book of 1 John lately, and it’s incredible how many times the Apostle John uses the word “abide.”   Abide means “to continue in a place; to remain stable or in a fixed state.”  Some definitions even add, “to wait for.”  It’s interesting, I always thought that abide meant, “to remain in.”  But these aforementioned definitions obviously connote something much deeper.  Abiding in Christ requires complete trust; no fear, no striving.  1 John 4:18 says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment.  But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.” 

When we abide in Christ, we gain a sense of security.  When we abide, we trust and know the intimate character of God; He is “God with us,” Immanuel.  He is our provider, our Redeemer, our Strength, our Peace.  We know that He is for us.  He protects us.  He knows the best plan for our lives, and He uses all things together for our good.  He has our best interests at heart.  He loves us with an everlasting love. 

Sounds incredible, right?  It is!  But why is it often difficult “to wait for” the Lord? 

Fear. And striving.

Let’s start with striving.  This comes from not understanding God’s character as our Father.  Many have this idea of standards, that God requires a certain level of work before we’re good enough to earn more of Him.  We sometimes fear that we’ll never be as spiritually mature as those around us.  Or, in another direction, we strive to make God cooperate with our own desires.  Too frequently Christians say, “Hey Lord, will you please bless my will?  I think I know better than You.”  Here’s the thing:  if we’re abiding in Christ and His will, it’s ALREADY blessed.  Abiding means sacrificing our comfort zones and false securities for the only sense of security that will ever produce Life in us: abiding in Christ.

I believe that if we truly, deeply sought out the heart of God, none of us could help but trust Him and follow Him wholeheartedly.  We wouldn’t fear that He doesn’t desire us or fear that He’s a wrathful, angry Lord who can never be satisfied.  The other night during worship at church, I had a really sweet, tender encounter with God.  The sermon that night had been about abiding in the Vine.  When we abide in the Vine (Jesus) we get nutrients from the Source (God).  We bear fruit when we’re being filled from the Source.  It not something we have to strive for; if we’re in Christ, we simply rest and receive what we need.  We wait for the Lord, i.e. abide, to receive what He desires to give us.

The thing about abiding that drives Christians in the Western world crazy is the fact that abiding means to rest, to surrender, to wait.  To trust, and not rush.  That’s hard to digest in a society such as ours. 

As I went into worship that night, I examined my heart.  I told God that I didn’t want to come to take from Him, but to simply adore Him.  His love for me is so provident, so overwhelming, so perfect, and I just desire to know Him and be more like Him.  I set my heart on giving Him all my affections for the first time in a long time.  I told Him, “You are worthy of all my adoration and praise.  I trust You.  I rest in You.  Let my heart and life be pleasing to You.”  As I did so, I sensed His presence behind me.  I had this vision of Him putting a crown/anointing of leadership on my head, but I drew back, questioning Him.  “Father, I’m not ready, my heart is barely in a place that gives You the worship You deserve.  Why would you give this to me?  I’m not ready yet, I need more of You.”  His response astounded me: “Your heart is fully set on Me and your hands are fully open to Me and My will; this is the posture of a heart that I can work through.”    After all of my striving and trying to earn His blessing, I realized something that seems like such an elementary truth…God doesn’t need our works.  He desires our hearts.  Our love.  Isn’t the first commandment to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, all our minds, all our souls, and all our strength?
God responded to my questioning with this: “As long as you keep this posture of seeking, trusting, and loving Me, I will work in and through you.” 

Think of it this way:  healthy relationships are comprised of desiring the other person’s good above our own, of adoration and encouragement, of correcting and challenging, of delighting in the other person’s joy, etc.  This is what our relationship with God should look like.  We must abide in Christ.

Do you feel like you’re not really sure of the character of God? Do you desire to really know His heart toward you?

Abide.

Psalm 125: 1 says, “Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.”

John 15:5 says, “I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”

John 15:9 says, “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.”

1 John 4:16 says, “And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.”

I feel like I’m only scratching the surface on this topic of abiding…let’s go in for the depths of Him, brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment