Monday, December 14, 2009

Fire on the Altar

“Next he put the wood in order, cut the bull in pieces, and laid it on the wood. He said, ‘Fill four jars with water and pour it on the burnt offering and on the wood.’ Then he said, ‘Do it a second time’; and they did it a second time. Again he said, ‘Do it a third time’; and they did it a third time, so that the water ran all around the altar, and filled the trench also with water. At the time of the offering of the oblation, the prophet Elijah came near and said, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your bidding. Answer me, O Lord, answer me, so that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back. Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering, the wood, the stones, and the dust, and even licked up the water that was in the trench. When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, ‘The Lord indeed is God; the Lord indeed is God.’” (1 Kings 18:33-39)
This story is an absolutely magnificent testimony to the might, power, and dependability of God. Over and over again, He loves to reveal His glory to those who seek Him wholeheartedly. Elijah has utter confidence in the character of God, even amidst the persecution and sin surrounding him. He trusts God; all of his hope is in God. He knows that God will come through, that God’s ways are far above his own, that God is provident and faithful. Elijah is so extraordinarily confident in God’s promises and power that he makes the proposition of fire falling on a soaking wet altar. I like to imagine the thoughts of those Baal-worshipers as Elijah repeatedly had water poured over the altar. “Fire can’t fall on water, that’s preposterous! Who is this crazed man, to say that his God could perform such an improbable act?” is what I can imagine bystanders thinking, scoffing at the very idea.
I want to see the application of this story to my own life, and I think this is possible by examining Elijah’s faithfulness and total trust in God no matter how dire the situation. Surely Elijah was mocked and persecuted greatly as he had water poured out over the altar; he was alone and had no guarantees of success. Yet he had such an intimate relationship with God that he could rest in total dependence on God’s mighty promises. He had no problem pouring water over the altar not only once, but two, and three times. He knew that God’s glory would be revealed even more gloriously against greater odds.
To honestly live out a life that testifies to the holiness, goodness, grace, love, and glory of God, requires great sacrifice and trust. We must be willing to put our own desires and perceptions on the line, knowing that God’s ways are better than ours. We must be willing to confront and even embrace obstacles that will most assuredly come. Elijah is the ideal example of this: Under the attack of numerous Baal-worshipers, he could have listened to that inner voice of fear, of doubt, of worry, of insecurity. He could of merely asked God to let His fire fall down on a normal altar, untouched by water. He could of sprinkled a little water on the altar, or only poured out water once. But no, Elijah poured out the water three times, drenching the altar in water which would typically render it useless and inflammable.
So often when we are presented with an obstacle, we fail to see it as an opportunity to let God’s glory be revealed in and through us. We stand before the altar, more aware of the taunting voices inside and around us rather than realizing the abundant power that is available to us if we only seek and trust in God! Elijah stood sure and confident in the presence of the Almighty, and He came through mightily. Fire fell down on the altar, consuming water, wood, stones, and all. God showed up in all of His glory and power, and the people bowed in reverence to the authentic, living God.
I find myself frequently confining myself, and God, to my comfort zone. If an obstacle or issue in my life seems too overwhelming, I tell God that I can’t handle it. What I fail to grasp is that HE CAN HANDLE ANYTHING. I should embrace obstacles as opportunities to allow God to shine in and through me. What does it matter how I feel about the improbabilities of a situation? My God is mighty to save, and His love conquers all. He will come through in all of His glory and might if I only rely and trust in His character and dependability. It is when I truly lay my fears, doubts, insecurities, worries, and desires on the altar along with the water that He is free to let His fire fall in all His glory and power and might.
What is most admirable about this account is Elijah’s heart, crying out to God to honor his devotion to God’s call, that those people may turn their hearts back to God as well. With such sincerity and honest intention, Elijah comes to God, asking that He bless Elijah’s dedication and draw a lost people back into reverence and worship. I yearn for that---to pursue God wholeheartedly, that He would see that my desires are purely for His Kingdom to come as it has come graciously unto me. His relentless love is evident in Elijah’s life, and I pray it will be evident in mine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment